Publisher Whitehorn Games and Toronto-based developer Alientrap have announced a December 9, 2021 release date for crafting adventure game Wytchwood on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. The game world draws inspiration from gothic fables and fairytales, and you play as a witch in the woods who explores the countryside, collects magical ingredients, brews “sorcerous enchantments,” and passes judgement on a colorful cast of characters. Here’s the lowdown on what to expect on Wytchwood, plus its release date trailer (which is incidentally the same as a trailer from several months ago, but now with a release date slapped to the end):
- Lovingly rendered storybook art style
- Gather, collect, grow and craft bizarre ingredients: Toxic toadstools, eye of newt and bottled fear.
- Research and concoct devious spells and sorceries. Turn the greedy into frogs! Trick the wicked with cunning curses!
- Explore an allegorical world of tall tales, uncovering colorful personas and fantastical narratives.
- Use your wit and guile to solve puzzles and best the strange monsters of the forest.
Crafting in video games is often a divisive feature. Many either love crafting for the customization it presents, or they think it introduces a whole extra layer of complication that isn’t worth the hassle. Honestly, I’m of the latter perspective. But if you’ve made it this far, you’re probably the former, so hopefully Wytchwood lives up to your expectations upon its release date next month.
Also, if you’re into gothic fairytales and haven’t played Lost in Random yet — you really oughta change that.