Two-person developer Fossil Games has revealed a new trailer for Sunshine Manor, an 8-bit horror adventure coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, Xbox, and PC in fall 2021. The developer actually describes the game as a “horror RPG,” but it seems much more like a scary take on The Legend of Zelda than a scary take on Final Fantasy.
The premise of Sunshine Manor is that Ada MacReady’s night of trick-or-treating goes horribly wrong when she gets trapped inside the old and mysterious Aitken Manor. There are various enemy types roaming around, plus boss fights and assorted puzzles, and you have to use Ada’s psychic powers to survive. A malevolent all-seeing dude named Shadow Man (not that one) may be responsible for your woes.
Sunshine Manor is promising the following features when it comes to Nintendo Switch and other consoles this fall:
- Discover and explore the ever-changing haunted Sunshine Manor.
- Transport yourself to the Demon Realm and banish hellish fiends!
- Beautiful hand-drawn 8-bit graphics
- A deadly game of Cat & Mouse where the Demon can be anywhere
- ’80s soundtrack written specially for this game
- A fantastic evil consumed story-driven narrative
- Devious puzzles to tax your brain box
- Lots of scares, spooky scenes, and nods to iconic horror franchises
Prior to Sunshine Manor, Fossil Games released Camp Sunshine in 2016 on PC. Both titles are part of a planned horror trilogy. So far, I’m digging what I’m seeing. What do you think of it?