Publisher Yacht Club Games and developer Vine have announced a December 13, 2021 release date for puzzle adventure Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam, retailing for $19.99. Yacht Club has also confirmed that “expansive” Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon DLC is on the way, which is frankly unsurprising considering the extraordinary amount of extra content the original Shovel Knight received. Speaking of which, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove will be on sale this month and next month in order to commemorate the release of Pocket Dungeon, but the sale has not yet hit the Nintendo Switch eShop.
In any case, Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon is not your typical throwaway copy/paste puzzler. Rather, it combines falling-block puzzles with dungeon-crawling for a unique, new experience. Here are some core features of the game:
- Group foes together for massive chain attacks while grabbing keys, power-ups, and potions to refill your health!
- Take control of more than 10 of your favorite heroes from the Shovel Knight universe, each with a unique power and play style.
- Equip yourself on the fly with a treasure trove of items and equipment. Mix and match your loadout to prepare for any encounter.
- Play in a variety of ways with Story Mode, 2 player competitive Versus Mode, a Daily Challenge, and much more!
- A bold new visual style complements a new story. Learn the ropes from your pal Puzzle Knight as you attempt to escape the mysterious Pocket Dungeon. Shovel Knight’s signature storytelling and humor are on full display!
We have 1 more fun thing to reveal today!?
We loved developing this game so much that we just can’t get enough! That's why we’re planning on releasing an expansive slate of DLC. More will be revealed after release! pic.twitter.com/uTjweZuEYT
— Yacht Club Games (@YachtClubGames) November 23, 2021
If you love Tetris and Shovel Knight, then Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon seems like a slam dunk upon its release date on Switch and other platforms in December.