No matter how many millions of times its characters are brutally slaughtered, Mortal Kombat keeps coming back, and not just in video game form. The R-rated Mortal Kombat reboot film began filming recently, as a tweet from screenwriter Greg Russo revealed. And we now know in greater detail which actors are playing which iconic characters.
— Greg Russo (@WriterRusso) September 15, 2019
The film from director Simon McQuoid will feature a lot of expected Mortal Kombat favorites, and here they are:
- Jax: played by Mehcad Brooks, the improbably cool James Olsen on Supergirl
- Kano: played by Josh Lawson of Superstore
- Kung Lao: played by Max Huang, a German actor typically known for stunt work in films like Kingsman: The Secret Service
- Liu Kang: played by Ludi Lin, who played Murk in Aquaman and (much more importantly) the Black Ranger in Power Rangers
- Mileena: played by Sisi Stringer, who seems to be a relative newcomer (Mortal Kombat is surely an auspicious beginning for her.)
- Raiden: played by Tadanobu Asano, a Japanese actor who plays Hogun in the Thor films
- Scorpion: played by Hiroyuki Sanada, another Japanese actor who has featured in numerous films like The Wolverine and 47 Ronin
- Shang Tsung: played by Chin Han, a Singaporean actor who has featured in various films like The Dark Knight and Ghost in the Shell
- Sonya Blade: played by Jessica McNamee, who was in, uh, The Meg
- Sub-Zero: played by Joe Taslim, known for the character Sergeant Jaka in Indonesian martial arts masterpiece The Raid: Redemption
- Lewis Tan, a British actor with credits including Into the Badlands and Deadpool 2, has an undisclosed role.
The absence of Johnny Cage is curious. And it’s entirely possible this film will be a train wreck on the scale of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, but I want to believe it will be great. I want to believe any film that has The Raid and Power Rangers alumni in it has to be good. Come on, Mortal Kombat film — you can do it!