Mario Kart 8 Deluxe continues to be the ultimate sales evergreen for Nintendo. The popular racer hit Switch almost five years ago, and it originally launched in a non-Deluxe form on Wii U in 2014. Despite its age, it just keeps on selling like a brand new hit. Nintendo’s recent investor report shows that it’s now sitting at a grand total of 43.35 million. That’s up from 38.74 million last quarter, meaning it sold 4.61 million copies during the recent holiday season.
Since its debut, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has consistently sold at a rate of around four copies for every ten Switch sales. Simply put, it is seen as a must-have for new Switch owners. Here’s how its sales have stacked up year over year:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sales by year
- 2017: 7.33 million – Switch sold 14.86 million (49.3% ratio) in 10 months
- 2018: 7.69 million – Switch sold 17.41 million (44.2% ratio)
- 2019: 7.94 million – Switch sold 20.21 million (39.3% ratio)
- 2020: 10.45 million – Switch sold 27.39 million (38.2% ratio)
- 2021: 9.91 million – Switch sold 23.67 million (42.4% ratio)
When you add in the sales of the original version on Wii U, Mario Kart 8 has sold a grand total of 51.81 million copies. That number should continue to climb for as long as Switch remains popular. That said, we have heard rumors that Mario Kart 9 will be revealed this year. That would likely put a damper on this evergreen’s sales, but it’s only a rumor at this point. Nintendo certainly isn’t feeling any pressure to replace the game right now.